A publisher has rejected a request from a law firm that represents the Saskatchewan farmer acquitted in the fatal shooting of a young Indigenous man who now wants to tell “his side” of what happened.
Last month, a jury found Gerald Stanley not guilty of second-degree murder in the 2016 death of Colten Boushie.
Toronto-based publisher Between The Lines (BTL) says it received the request from Stanley’s legal team.
“Our press has rejected the request for a meeting and instead offered an expression of our solidarity with the Boushie family,” BTL said in a statement Thursday.
“Mr. Stanley’s side of the story has already been told — and was validated, in wilful disregard of the facts and expert testimony, by an all-white jury.
“To publish, promote, and market Mr. Stanley’s side of the story would only contribute to the injustices experienced by the Boushie family and all Indigenous people.”
BTL said it is encouraging other publishers to reject the request as well.
Company officials were not immediately available for further comment.
Lawyer Scott Spencer confirmed his office did make inquiries on Stanley’s behalf.
“Gerry has been concerned throughout the legal process about the misinformation that has been widely circulated,” Spencer wrote in an email.
“Gerry believed that once the facts came out at trial that the misinformation would stop and that any public discussion would be based on facts and evidence. However, that has not been the case.”
Spencer said Stanley is not seeking a book deal.
“Gerry just wants to see the public record set straight.”
The case was filled with racial tension from the beginning and the verdict was met with outrage and sadness by Boushie’s family and their supporters.
After the verdict, family members met with federal ministers along with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to ask for changes to the justice system and to how juries are selected to better reflect Indigenous people.
Rallies were also held around Canada to voice displeasure with the outcome of the case.